Sanctuary lamp, 1955 & 1994
Lettering fascinated Peace from an early age. His subjects were largely biblical, heraldic or commemorative. Soon after arriving in Cambridge in 1961, he met Ede, who began to collect his work. Jim enjoyed not only the objects in themselves, but also the contribution they could make to the atmosphere of Kettle’s Yard, both in terms of spirituality and as modulators of light and reflections.
The original of this lamp was a gift to Jim. When it was accidentally broken, Peace made a replacement, which he gave to Kettle’s Yard in July 1994, to coincide with the opening of the refurbished and extended exhibition gallery. The inscription reads: ‘VERE DOMINUS EST IN LOCO ISTO’ (in truth God inhabits this place).
Glass [DP 5]
Engraving on glass
230 x 230 mm
About the artist
Peace was born in Sheffield and lived near Cambridge from the 1960s. His glass engravings are in many collections, including the Victoria & Albert Museum. He was the first chairman of the Guild of Glass Engravers.